Saturday, February 10, 2007

Basement Bargain and Weather Woes

I do love a good bargain. I was in the city centre yesterday to having a mooch around the shops to see what goodies I could find when I walked past one of those bookshops that just draw you in – you know the ones. They have a big sign up saying DISCOUNT BOOKSHOP. I wandered in more to kill time than with any expectations of finding a book worth buying. I was in for a pleasant surprise.

Scoring the shelves with a faint air of disinterest I stumbled upon a gem (I think) of a book – Uzodinma Iwela’s Beasts of no Nation. It was such an unexpected find that I leapt on it without even thinking. There was no price on it so I strolled up to the till with baited breath. You’ll never believe what it cost - £1.00!! Yep, you read right ONE POUND. Now if that isn’t a bargain then I don’t know what is. But Iwela will have to wait as I have just begun reading Ben Okri’s Dangerous Love.

Birmingham ground to a halt yesterday as its inhabitants woke up to 10 centimeters of snow that paralysed the City. It snowed overnight and then started again by 11:30 am and lasted through till about 9:00pm. People were being chucked off buses and being told to walk the rest of the way to their destinations as the buses couldn’t make it up the hilly roads. The tailbacks went on for miles and miles. Some people aborted all attempts of driving home and checked into hotels instead.

Needless to say, I took advantage of the situation and didn’t go in to work. Teeheehee. It was thoroughly enjoyed by my daughter though who took every opportunity to pelt her dad with snow balls. Even now in my old age, the sight of snow turns me into a little kid again – bursting with excitement at the thought of running outside and building snowmen and making snow angels. Ahhh. And to think that my parents are being cooked slowly by the harmattan heat back in Nigeria.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer A. said...

lolll...cooked by the harmattan heat...now I'm feeling sorry for my own parents as well...and its even hotter in naija now that the ozone layer is depleting more...lol.

5:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you founf beasts of no nation for a pound. It has been sold out in all bookshops in Lagos and i have been hunting for it for ages...Lucky you

3:10 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Not only was it £1, it was hardback as well! Unbelieveable

4:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PTS, I've been wondering what to do for the evening, now i have an idea, Im goin 2 sneak into your house (wherever that is) and make away with the book. Lol.

Hve a great week

7:17 pm  
Blogger Vera Ezimora said...

A book for a pound? Woah! Maybe I should move 2 London...abi where you dey?

...and yes, the now is great! Although I definitely don't appreciate having to clear it or the risk of slipping and breaking a hip in it, but other than that, snow is great!

Heat in naija? Please, don't remind me

12:44 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Isn't Global Warming fun?! (That was tongue-in-cheek, y'all.)

3:13 pm  
Blogger Toksboy said...

PTS - it is the simple things that make life great is it not?

11:34 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@vera: Na Birmingham I dey oh! You're welcome anytime.

@Toks-boy: Indeed, Toks, Indeed.

10:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Choosing the right perfume can be difficult and because it is also considered an intimate gift buying the wrong

perfume can backfire on you and get you the opposite result of that which you hoped for.

The first thing you need to do is do some homework, meaning research. Look at your lady's perfume bottles, the ones

that are nearly empty will be her favorites. If there is one there that is nearly full chances are she doesn't wear

it often or doesn't like it. Hint around and ask her what types of fragrances she likes and dislikes.

Humans are very sensory oriented and our sense of smell is no different. Certain perfumes can elicit strong

reactions in both the wearer and the person reacting to the scent. Perfumes are made not only to attract but to also

relax someone. If you aren't totally sure what kind of perfume to buy you can always play it safe and get something

in the aromatherapy line. If you go this route, bear in mind that vanilla scents are considered to relax and a

peppermint or lemon scent will be more stimulating.

10:46 pm  
Blogger R said...

I'm sooooooooo jealous!!! Can I um... buy it from you for... umm... one pound and ten? Seriously, that's all of ten per cent profit, not to be frowned upon in this day.

Anyway, how you, sister girl? Happy Belated Birthday. (In January, right?) I hope you're enjoying growing better.

I'm so glad to see you're still keeping it real... I, on the other hand, seem to have fallen by the wayside...

Sigh... I impulsively enrolled for a way out there Master's programme. Which to translates to I'm now constantly broke, constantly harassed and constantly stimulated.

Take care of you.

4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home