Friday, January 19, 2007

Technology – an extension of me

Yesterday my iPod froze up for about an hour on me. I eventually figured out how to reset it but for the 60 minutes I was without it, it was like my right arm had been cut off. It made me realise just how dependent I am on the gadgets I have around me.

Say for instance, I lost my mobile phone I would be beside myself because 1) my major means of communication when I am out and about would be gone and 2) I don’t have any of the numbers on my phone written down anywhere. A disaster waiting to happen.

The same applies to my email, broadband connection and memory stick – all technologies I rely so heavily upon. I am not sure if this is a good or bad thing but it’s something to make you think.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Uzo said...

My ipod did the same thing last week and i almost passed out. I was so worried...LOL

1:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know... most people think they can't go without these things but you can. Being accessible 24 hours of the day can be a good and also a bad thing. The most important thing is for your immediate family/loved ones to be able to get a hold of you. Thats it.

I'm speaking as somoneone who constantly loses thier phone... or my son breaking something or sticking something in my laptop. I've learned to do without a few times.

he he. I'm sure when your kids get older, and start playing/dropping/breaking your things, you'll learn to do without too.

much love.

2:43 pm  
Blogger Ore said...

Oh, please get your phone numbers stored somewhere!!

It's like these things happen in twos or threes. First, my iPod stopped working last week. Then, yesterday, my phone slipped out of my bag into some water. It went off immediately and I eventually managed to slide the back open to take out the SIM card and battery. Lucky for me, I have numbers stored on the SIM. Unlucky for me, most of the numbers aquired in the last 7/8 months were stored on the phone.

I just about wanted to die when it happened. Okay, now I'm surviving, but if I could do it all again, I'd back up.

7:23 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What does it make you think about? If nothing more than "is this good or bad?" then I propose you're wasting time: back up your phone numbers elsewhere instead. Better use of your time. :-)

8:08 pm  
Blogger Lowla said...

Hmm I know what you mean. I think its just bad.
I think it just makes you remember to cherish what you have and most importantly be alert.

As regards the phone numbers, I try to have a back up of the numbers and contacts of immediate family members just incase anything happens and the same happens to my files on my computer and laptop.

Hmm you wont believe I hold a flash disk everywhere I go, even if I have to change bags to a smaller one. So much for people telling me I keep junks; junks to be useful even in times of emergency.:-)

6:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home