Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Of Birthdays and Babies

It was my birthday on the 20th of January. I turned 37. *sigh*

It was a day like any other. In fact I had to remind myself a couple of times through the day that it was my birthday. But it’s been like this for a few years now. Since I turned 30, birthdays have become less of a celebration and more of a time for reflection.

Am I where I want to be? No

Is this how I envisioned my life at this age? No

What do I want to achieve over the next 12 months? Several things spring to mind.

Am I happy? Now, this is a tough one. I am not unhappy. Let’s just say there is a restlessness within me which comes from knowing that my life isn’t going in quite the direction I had anticipated it would when I was say, 25. But that’s not anyone’s fault. If I want change to happen, then I’ve gotta change.

**

Last week Wednesday I went for my 20 week scan – I know! I can hardly believe I am half way through my pregnancy already – and all is well. Baby is growing fine and all the functional bits are in place and the pregnancy is progressing as it should.

I also had the baby sexed i.e. boy or a girl. And I am happy to announce that come June I will be giving birth to a bouncing baby ……….

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! You didn’t really think I would let the cat out of the bag, did you? If I told you what I was going to be having then you wouldn’t have anything to look forward to now, would you? You’ll just have to wait. All I will say is, I am glad I know what the sex of the baby is as I can be better prepared this time around. With my first I had bought all the baby clothes in neutral colours but this time I can be more specific.

One thing I will tell you though is that having a child at 33 and having a child at 37 is a whole different ball game. My body ain’t what it used to be. Four years ago when I was carrying my first, I was full of energy, no aches or pains and I was positively blooming. Everyone who saw me always used to comment on how radiant I looked. But now, I tire more easily and at 21 weeks, my back is aching like mad. If I sit down for any length of time, it’s an ordeal to get my muscles moving again and my belly feels so, so heavy. My husband reckons I don’t get enough exercise –which I don’t actually. So I shall pencil in some evening walks for at least a couple of times a week. Nothing like some movement and fresh air to get the body working again, n’est pas?

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger LondonBuki said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!

I know it's easy to say but - Hope you're taking things easy... not stressing yourself.

2:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday!!

hmmmm i think it's a.... boy??

**you know what? i keep having dreams that i'm pregnant, and I think its because of your posts... lol

3:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday and Congratulations!

I think it is a boy, since I have three of my own and they are a lot of fun!

4:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Happy Birthday in arrears...

You know that song- Count your blessings?
(I'll remind you.)

"Count your blessings; name them one by one...
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done"

Meanwhile, I don't know which Naija peeps you've been visiting. Don't tell me our generation! Hard, very hard to believe. How far with our people in B'ham sef?! If that's where you went a-visiting ( dig my slang?)

You know you are in a Naija home where there's smell of food in the air (eg dodo, fried meat) or there's constant cooking going on. ALWAYS having a pot of stew ready.

Bon chance with Baby's sex. Personally, I don't really trust the "predictions", not all docs are good at it. Hope it's what you desire sha. I shall be praying for a healthy bundle ( or two) for ya! The other might be hiding, LOL. Return to sender if u like, no shakin' Take care!

8:53 pm  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! It must be nice to finally know and to be able to shop specifically for your little boy or girl. I can't wait for the BIG reveal!

8:56 pm  
Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

I knew I forgot something! Hope you had a great day and got a kick or two from bambino/bambina. Will definitely want to know what I am having when I have my second child. Definitely want to be prepared. Take good care. xx

10:14 pm  
Blogger Ore said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a good day. I am getting more reflective on my bdays too, but because it's so close to Christmas, I get really excited about it.

I have a feeling that you are having a boy and I think I'm quite good (or lucky) at guessing what people are going to have. Either way, it's great that you and Baby are both doing well.

11:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate sounding like a Mom all the time, but I can't help it... so I would like to comment on that part where you said you are not in the place where you want to be. One of the tricks I find most helpful often is to imagine myself in the future, say five or ten years from now. If I don't do something now (that change that you need to make) then I will be in the same place where I am now, still planning to make the changes and still wondering what happened to all those years. Dont let anything stop you...

8:58 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Thank you for the belated Birthday wishes everyone. :)

It's great to keep you all guessing about baby's sex. Heehehehe

@Araceli: YOu're right and I will start to visualize my future and act on making the changes I need to make NOW not later. Thanks!

9:18 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nope, it's a boy. Not a guess.

Happy Birthday. As one of the "old" ones myself, I commiserate.

9:04 pm  
Blogger adefunke said...

Happy Belated Birthday, many happy returns.

9:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home