Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Being PC

Gone are the days when gay meant happy and queer meant strange and Baa Baa Black Sheep was a harmless little nursery rhyme. These days the English language has become fraught with do’s and don’ts - a minefield of offence causing verbs and pronouns.

Here is a brief lesson in how to be politically correct in our increasingly touchy world.

You don’t say Black
You say African-American, Afro- Caribbean and for a thorough bred African or non White person, you say Ethnic.

You don’t say Baa Baa Black Sheep
It’s Baa Baa Woolly Sheep

You don’t say Blackboard
You say whiteboard or Wipe board

You don’t say Fat
You say overweight

You don’t say Disabled
You say Otherwise Abled

You don’t say Short
You say Vertically Challenged

You don’t say Cold Blooded, Heartless, Vicious little Creep
You say Thermostatically Defunct

You don’t say Merry Christmas
You say Happy Holidays

You don’t say Homosexual
You say Alternative Lifestyle

You don’t say Husband/Wife
You say Partner

You don’t say I believe in God
You say I am Spiritual

You don’t say Brainstorm
You say CloudBurst or Word/Thought Shower

You don’t say Blind
You say Visually Impaired

You don’t say Clumsy
You say Uniquely Coordinated

You don’t say Chairman
You say Chairperson or simply, Chair

You don’t say Fail or Failure
You say Deferred Success

You say it’s being Politically Correct
I say what a crock of …*Bleep, Bleep, Bleep*

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Marin said...

I agree with you that PC is being overdone. Just curious, what do you say to half-caste/biracial or mixed-race?

4:32 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Search me!!! Dual Heritage??

4:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm of the view that this political correctness is taking it too far!! Imagine the word 'Gollywog' being removed from Enid Blyton books due to this so called political correctness!! I think I heard somewhere too that Baa Baa Black Sheep was being rephrased. A whole load of poppycock I'd say too!!!

5:28 pm  
Blogger Young Olive Trees said...

Ha ha, very funny

8:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

PTS:
You most definitely do not want to start me up on political correctness! ;-)

Just know the next time I meet some redolent a-hole who insists on saying something like "thermostatically inclined," I'll staple their eyelids open and force them to read Animal Farm. Not that it will change their perception but I'll definitely enjoy the stapling!

2:07 pm  
Blogger chainreader said...

i feel you on this one. all this politically correct crap is just that, crap.

what do they mean by happy holidays? it has a name, folks! please!

10:42 pm  
Blogger Naijadude said...

Trust me, I say its all **bleep** **bleep** BS!!
See what all this liberlaism Politically Correct words could do?

Merry Xmas, and Happy New year jare!

7:20 am  
Blogger Naijadude said...

Ooh U dont say "Hookers/Harlots" you say "Sex Trade workers"

You dont say "Poor" you say "Low-income earners"

I know they have one for People living with AIDS too, cant remember now!

7:26 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha. I'm very liberal but this is taking it too far...

3:13 pm  
Blogger TMinx said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

1:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol... PC my left foot! Please say it as it is jare, so that we understand straight up what you are talking about in clear lay terms... and anyone who has a problem with it should go and 'knack' thier heads on a wall some place.... meanwhile I was reading someones comment there cant remember their name now, and it's amazing how I can't get the thought of stapling someone's eyelids open.. LMAO.
By the way PTS lurvve your blog....
Blog on sista! ;)

1:30 am  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

i agree. we overcooked pc a long time ago.

8:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home