Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Maternity Wear Conspiracy and a New Look

I have come to the conclusion that there must be a worldwide conspiracy among clothing manufacturers to keep pregnant women looking as unattractive and dowdy as possible. You don’t believe me? Well, have you tried looking for maternity clothes lately?

Last Friday I did just that. I took a day’s annual leave from work and headed into the City Centre in search of some maternity wear. My clothes are all tight and I can’t get away with having the zip of my jeans half undone hidden under a long shirt and being held together by a scarf anymore. I didn’t have much on my shopping list – all I wanted was a pair of jeans, a pair of black trousers and a couple of nice tops. Easy peasy one would think. Ha, I wish.

People, there was no shop I didn’t go into from Marks and Spencer (they have discontinued their maternity line. Now why would they go and do a thing like that?) to BHS (Ugh!! Who goes into Bhs???) – No joy. Why didn’t I do the obvious and go into Mothercare I hear you ask. My reply to that is, I did but have you seen the prices of their clothes?? I’m sorry but I am not paying a kings ransom for a flimsy little t-shirt.

The cost of maternity clothes is extortionate!!! And the quality is crap. Lets put it this way, you wouldn’t want to stand too close to any candles if you had on any of the maternity clothes I saw being sold on the high street. Plus, the clothes are the untrendiest things you have ever clapped your eyes on. Anyway, after four hours (4hours!!!) of trudging up and down the high street and round and round the Bullring a nice lady at M & S asked me to have a look in Dorothy Perkins. I would never in a million years have thought that Dotty P had a maternity range but they did, surprise, surprise. Their collection wasn’t huge but it was acceptable and I ended up getting a pair of jeans. However, as I can’t exactly live in a pair of jeans for the next six months I decided to have a look on the internet when I got home. Good News – I found loads of sites selling maternity wear. Bad News - the prices!!! If you don’t have £60 and above to spend on ONE item then forget it, and if you haven’t figured it out by now I’ll spell it out for you – I’m a tight fisted git. I am a £20 and less kinda gal. Besides I’m funny about buying clothes online or even out of a catalogue. I am a great believer in trying on clothes first. I like to try before I buy.

On Tuesday, I took the plunge and went to the hairdressers and had all my hair chopped off. Yes, I am now the proud owner of a head of hair no longer than a centimetre long. In clipper speak, I’m a number 3. It feels great to be able to wake up in the morning and just go. No more blow drying and shower caps and heat protecting hair spray. Freedom!! My daughter wasn’t too pleased though as she burst into tears when she saw me. Why did you cut off all your hair mama, she wailed . I had to reassure her that it would grow again. Now if only I can find the clothes to go with my new look….

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger SongReach said...

I felt the same way you do when I was pregnant four years ago. However, things have since changed in the U.S

If you have family/friends in these parts maybe they can shop for you....getting it to you is the hurdle. if you do find someone, GAP, OLD NAVY, TARGET would be my first choices for trendy, affordable, and comfortable martenity outfits.

Good luck as I'm sure others will give you reasonable guidance as well.

3:54 pm  
Blogger Ms. May said...

Yeah.I was going to suggest the same thing Songreach did. If you have any fam here, they may be able to send you some stuff. But since you like to try stuff on if you can find a decently priced ticket and need a vacation.....hey, it may be worth it to kill two birds with one stone. The pound is so much stronger than the dollar so you'll get more bang for your buck and look styling! LOL. Websites are www.gap.com, www.target.com, www.oldnavy.com, www.mimimaternity.com as well.

4:53 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

"I have come to the conclusion that there must be a worldwide conspiracy among clothing manufacturers to keep pregnant women looking as unattractive and dowdy as possible."

Sorry to burst your bubble, PTS, but preggos are dowdy, clothes or no! ;-)

Actually, I have a soft spot for pregnant women, for some reason. I think y'all look cute. That will be the last time I ever use that word in public so savor it. :-)

5:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try H&M. You'll find reasonable smart casual affordable wear. DP's quite nice for style- simple, yet not dowdy. If all fails, how about some Boubous from Naija? Preggies tend to have a lot of body heat, you might just get away with it in the cold dread of winter.(just teasing!)

aaw, i feel for your daughter. I have preschool kids myself and i always discuss stuff with them beforehand so that they can flow with things easily. It always works!

9:19 am  
Blogger O. said...

LOl at your daughter bursting into tears!!! i hope you find some nice and affordable clothes.....take a trip to the states and come shopping!!!!

1:30 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give to go to the States for some (maternity) retail therapy. *sigh*

Thanks for the tips Songreach and Ms. May, I had no idea Gap did maternity wear - the Gap shops here don't. I will check online, perhaps they will be willing to ship out.

You're right, Lovelyflower, I got quite a nice maternity dress from H & M. I shall return and see what else they've got.


@ Fred: You were THIS close to getting yourself karate chopped in your googelis with the first part of your post, but fortunately for you, you redeemed yourself!! :-D

2:15 pm  
Blogger hez said...

I just stumbled on your blog and ironically had seen this woman Liz Lange on a business panel last weekend. She invented the "fancy maternity clothing" thing 9 years ago. I think her clothes are expensive but she developed a line at Target a few years ago and now that is all that Target sells. www.lizlange.com. Look here too http://www.apeainthepod.com/ and here http://www.bellydancematernity.com/
I don't know why I know so much about this since I am not and have never been pregnant! weird! Good luck!

5:35 pm  
Blogger adefunke said...

songreach and ms.may already have your back I see. Quick tip, if you buy stuff online and they don't fit you can alsways return it for a refund same as you would do in-store. I have found that altoug H&M have nice trendy stuff, not much can be said for the quality of their fabrics.

6:01 pm  
Blogger Toksboy said...

thanks for taking time out to send me all that info. Very much appreciated.Have a great XMAS and New Year. Me and my white shoes will be doing the same.Kampe.

6:29 am  
Blogger Femme said...

i was shopping once before i got married and kept finding very nice and sexy dresses and even some tops that were perfect for pregnancies. the women in the shops thought it was the strangest thing ever( i was 21.
i kept saying 'that is so perfect for when im pregnant".
i just hope i can still find them when i get pregnant.
( i bought some already)

4:53 pm  
Anonymous Gwen Ann Wilson said...

Nice insight :) Thanks for sharing. This is so very helpful...
If you are looking for funky, sexy, versatile and affordable maternity wear, please visit us here at Maternity Clothing for the latest fashion on Maternity Clothes.

9:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home