Monday, May 08, 2006

My Dream Job




...my DREAM JOB
financial FREEDOM
creativity fullfillment sense of
achievement...



I am a morning person so the day will start early for me. I wake up, have my hour of power, shower and dress up. I wear only classic timeless clothes. I do not follow fashion. I have my own signature style. Today I have on a pair of wide cut linen mix trousers, a beautifully cut chocolate coloured silk tee, a dark brown pair of exquisite leather sandals. I have on simple silver earrings, a silver watch and the last piece of accessory is a chocolate brown and white silk scarf around my neck. My perfume is light and fresh and my make up is barely there. My hair is close cropped. The whole look is understated, casual smart but reeks ‘expensive’.

Breakfast, which has been prepared by my cook, awaits me on the table. It is a slice of smoked salmon, a croissant and a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

I drive myself to work in my silver Mercedes Benz convertible, with the top down. It’s a gorgeous day – sunny but not too hot and there is a nice fresh breeze blowing as I drive past the beach. My studio/office is located on one of the high brow commercial streets in the city.

I own my own business and I am the creative director. My company makes unique and beautifully crafted lifestyle accessories for the higher end of the market. Our main products are handbags, jewelry and household accessories. I count Oprah and the Branson family amongst my many clients. Every item is made to order - from scratch. I do not have a separate shop from which my products are sold. Clients view products on my website and place orders or come into my studio. Only a select few shops carry my products. We are a small but powerful operation.

My core tasks are vetting designs, sourcing new and exciting fabrics and accessories worldwide to use in my work, doing the actual creating and sewing alongside my workers, keeping the clients happy, negotiating new business and so forth. I have a PA who deals with everything else. I guard my rolodex with my life! My order books are full, the phone is ringing off the hook and my inbox is bursting with requests.

My team is small but efficient and each person brings a unique but practical skill to the business. We all sew.

The décor of my studio/office is very simple, minimalist but functional. It is open plan with high ceilings, a very pale shade of yellow on the walls and wooden white washed floors. It has huge windows which let in tons of light. Standing on one window sill is a vase with enormous sunflowers in it. Light background music plays and the hidden air coolers are humming silently away. The whole of two walls are covered from ceiling to floor in row after row of shelves and drawers which house the tools of my trade – fabrics, threads, beads, sequins, buttons, felt and so forth. There are sewing machines, patterns, drawings, fashion magazines, pin boards covered with designs every where. It is all organized chaos. The atmosphere is charged and relaxed at the same time.

My turnover will be in excess of £3,000,000 a year.

My success will be measured by the fulfillment I derive from running my own business – the sense of achievement and pride when I look at what I have been able to build up from scratch, becoming a sought after household name and recognized label, financial security, having the means at my disposal to be able to help people and give back to society.

My perks would include fabulous properties dotted around the globe, first class travel, financial security, not having to deal with the trivialities of life i.e housework!, going on wonderful holidays with my family and living life to the full! Oh, and being my own boss of course.





To read about other bloggers dream jobs, click on the links

1. Ore's notes
2. Nneka's world
3. Londonbuki
4. TaureanMinx
5. everchange
6. biodun
7. olawunmi
8. monef
9. afroblog
10. onada
11. naijadude

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Ore said...

Great post! I like your style. I've done mine too.

9:48 am  
Blogger TMinx said...

Thanks for the gentle reminder!

2:04 pm  
Blogger Biodun said...

Wow...I was actually picturing your whole business ideas n all..great business concept..I have completed mine too!

5:14 pm  
Blogger Jeri said...

Wow. You have this all figured out. They say in order to succeed you have to first have a very clear picture of what success means to you. I'd say you're on your way.

11:02 pm  
Blogger Monef said...

I love the tone of the post, I'm really getting the picture!

My letter is done too.

11:05 pm  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

Hey! i posted mine! I can already see you!

6:29 pm  
Blogger Helenism said...

here's my dream job! thanks for the idea.

2:43 am  
Blogger Naijadude said...

I just did mine too....a day late though :D

3:26 am  
Blogger uknaija said...

Sounds good

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home