Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2007

I was moved to tears today when I watched on CNN the opening of Oprah’s Leadership Academy in South Africa. We so rarely hear about good things happening on the news that this just overwhelmed me. It is completely free – board, tuition, the facilities, uniforms – EVERYTHING is free. Oprah’s generosity and kindness of spirit just takes my breath away. If ever there was a good woman, she definitely is one and along with millions of other women around the world, she is my number one mentor. I wish her well. For more information see here.

So, 2007 is finally here. What are your hopes and dreams? What habits will you be changing this year? What is the one thing you’ll be doing differently when you wake up in the morning? Which friendships are you going to nurture and which ones have got to go? Is this the year when you’ll reconcile with your enemy? Start that new business? Forgive some who needs to be forgiven? Grow in your faith? Love yourself more? Sow a seed of good into someone else’s life either with your time, compassion, generosity, patience, goodwill, kindness and yes, even your money?

Whatever you chose to do this year, let it be the year where you make a positive impact on someone else’s life because one thing I am beginning to realise is that the good you do onto others always, always comes back to you.

I wish you all the best for 2007!!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Blessed Child said...

I was really moved by the Oprah Winfrey story.Thanks for bringing it to our attention.I had no idea.

I'm shocked there isn't enough provision for maternity wears and M&S discontinued their maternity line??!!!But why??

New Year...Hmmm...I intend to do all those things I have always intended to do but never got round doing for one reason or the other....Travel,Photography,etc.

2007 is the year of perfection....loads to look forward to.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!Remain blessed.

11:07 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

First, a very Happy New Year!

Second, Oprah's a self-aggrandizing beyotch. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :-)

Seriously, I was listening to her speech in which she claimed this wasn't about her, it was about an "idea" then in the very next sentence she talks about what a tremendous thing to happen for her.

I'm a bit jaded of course, but most of these so-called celebrities do these things for self-glorification.

5:32 pm  
Blogger Confused Naija Girl said...

happy new year too you !
I have to diaagree with Fred. I think oprah is the only true humanitaian that doesnt do charity for attention.

5:52 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@ Fred: I have to disagree with you as well. I think Oprah is the most giving celebrity of all and not in the least self-aggrandising.

9:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oprah is truly very generous and giving but sometimes I think she also does stuff and makes too much noise about it. That makes it seem like she is doing these things and "bragging" about them.

4:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't confuse philanthropy with altruism: there are many, many philanthropic, yet glory-seeking selfish bastards. I believe Oprah's one of these--it's really all about her.

Of course, who cares why she does these things right? Well, maybe... there's the law of unintended consequences.

6:19 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

I still disagree Fred, I still disagree...

10:47 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

you should read Nkem's (of africanshirts) opinion of this, he does a better job of it.

7:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone sef...she could be spending her money on cocain...abeg...leave oprah alone.

7:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home