Thursday, January 04, 2007

Baby Update


This is just a quick baby update to let you all know how I am faring.

I am now 17 weeks pregnant – yes, isn’t it amazing how time flies - and I have had my first scan. I have also had my midwife’s appointment where I got to hear baby’s heartbeat for the very first time. How exciting. Baby is well I was told, heartbeat is very strong and my belly is the right size.

Talking of bellies, mine is huge considering I am just over four months so I dread to think just how much bigger I will become by the time June rolls in. I have also outgrown all my normal clothes but, good news here, I found a shop which does quite trendy maternity clothes so I have managed to get myself a pair of brown tweed trousers, a lovely embroidered black corduroy skirt and some other stuff.

Thank God for changing fashion! It seems this seasons big fashion hit is going to be Babydoll dresses which I am all excited about –not because I particularly follow fashion trends but simply because the style of the dresses lend themselves well for use as maternity clothes. Hoorah! So I walked into Topshop on Monday and got a lovely dark olive green baby doll dress which will last me throughout my pregnancy and hopefully beyond (if I haven’t rocked holes into it by then).

There is something I must mention though as I am faintly bothered by it.

I have not been able to connect with this pregnancy as I did with my first. I’ll explain.

With my first pregnancy I couldn’t get enough information about it. I bought books, magazines; I trawled through the baby section of Boots buying all things buyable. I out did myself picking up bargains during the sales of baby grows, booties and other nick knacks. But this time around I have done zilch. I have not bought a single magazine, I am weeks behind on my entries into the pregnancy journal I started, I haven’t even looked in Boots for baby stuff and I have walked right past the aisles of baby clothes on sale. I haven’t obsessed about this pregnancy for one day like I did with the first.

Is something wrong with me? Why can’t I seem to connect or form a bond this time with the child growing within me? Why am I not sitting around dreaming up possible names or talking to my bump? Other second time mums that I have spoken to have assured me that it is quite normal to feel this way. With first time pregnancies you have all the time in the world to sit around and day dream about the coming baby. You have time to shop and prepare and sit and read endless mother and baby magazines and besides it is a journey into the unknown so there is a lot of build up of excitement surrounding the whole experience. But the second time around, you are occupied with your first offspring- making sure they are washed, clothed, fed, entertained and occupied and this eats up a lot of a mother-to-be-second-time-around’s time. Second pregnancies are also tinged with a feeling of been there, done that.

I know they are right of course but I can’t help but be concerned about it.

Some other news to share is that my morning sickness has finally abated but has been replaced by acid reflux so I need to contact my GP to get a prescription for an antacid. My energy levels have also risen and I don’t feel so tired anymore. My friends and colleagues tell me that I am glowing although I take this with a pinch of salt as I personally do not think so. My walk has also developed a distinct waddle as well.

In the next three weeks, I will have my 20 week scan where I will have the opportunity to find out the sex of my baby. I think that this time I will ask for the sex to be told me. I didn’t check the first time around as I wanted there to be an element of surprise but this time I want to know so I can mentally prepare myself. Besides it would be helpful to know what to buy when then baby shopping bug finally bites me.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Haha... why can't you form a bond with le bebe, you ask? You mean, apart from the obvious one?

Well, it's not a "new" thing anymore, you're a jaded mom--it's normal. :-)

6:31 pm  
Blogger Mama Wangari said...

Congratulations! I think you seem to be thinking about it lots, for a second timer! You've bought maternity clothes! I'm only 12 weeks into my second and I haven't even found time to tell my partner yet that I think I felt it move, it just doesn't seem important. Partly, due to deeper exposure to the baby world after number one, I feel queasy about taking it for granted there'll be a baby, so rather just grumble about the extraordinary size of bump ALREADY and concentrate on staying abreast with the toddler. My friends think it must be even more exciting now I know how adorable they are, but you know what, now I know how much control they exert in a practical way, too.

12:58 am  
Blogger Jennifer A. said...

Lolll...my mum told me that when she was pregnant for me she read all sorts of books and magazines, why? Because I'm the first child...she didn't do that for my siblings...lol...

Congrats on the baby growing inside of u...

2:15 am  
Blogger Toksboy said...

PTS - i fully understand oh. by the time you get to number four like me you are just like yeah - whatever. Just bring the baby home when you all have finished your checks and things. Our first born is all Oyinboed as in only oyinbo foods will pass her lips. Number four is slamming goat meat (with pepper) like there is no tomorrow. I wish you well for the rest of the term.

9:54 pm  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

i find that in your worrying about your bond with this baby, the beauty of your soul comes out. maybe you should put your anxieties down to the pregnancy as well?

Happy New Year ma'am, it will be well.

5:03 pm  
Blogger Uzo said...

Well i guess since the experts say its normal, then it must be. Dont worry. LOL. It will be well.

11:53 am  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

Baby news!!!! Congratulations in advance lady

1:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my first baby I kinda freaked out. Buying all the baby clothes, scrap booking the whole thing, etc. For the second one, was like..."been there done that!" I think its all normal.

12:51 am  
Anonymous Parma Kitchen Renovations said...

Thank you for shharing

5:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home