Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Changing Shape and more Cravings

So the waistband of my trousers are beginning to get a little tighter, my skirts are sitting a little snugger and my t-shirts are beginning to strain a little around the chest area. Yes, people, the little one within me may be only 10 weeks old, but s/he is starting to make it’s presence visible on my body. I can’t believe that I soon have to start stocking up on maternity wear and get a bra fitting at Marks and Sparks. Unfortunately, my belly is at that stage where it doesn’t quite look pregnant yet. It just looks like I have had a serious case of overindulgence of the culinary kind. You feel like telling people ‘No, no, I don’t need to go on a diet, I’m pregnant’. Ah well.

The morning sickness has still not abated (sorry for going on about it) on the contrary it seems to be getting worse and the result is that I am exhausted most of the time. Sometimes being in this constant state of ‘unwellness’ makes me quite annoyed because I know I am not sick and yet I feel sick, if you know what I mean. I have also become quite irritable – from having people touch me, to feeling the water on my skin as I take a shower, to having the duvet on my body – all irritate the hell out of me. Even the feeling of having my hair brushing again my neck is a constant source of irritation so I am thinking of visiting the hairdressers soon and going for an extremely low crop. I have been wanting to do this for ages so this is my perfect excuse. My daughter is going to be devastated though as she says I look like a princess with my long hair. *Bless*

I am also having these crazy dreams – being in a plane crash, having violent quarrels with strangers, and posting abusive comments on peoples blogs are just a few of the dreams I have had in the past few days. But the experts say pregnancy sometimes does this and when I think about it, I do remember having very weird dreams when I was expecting my daughter. I’m still having my crazy cravings and here are a few of the things that wander in and out of my mind.

1. Amuge – I have no idea what else this fruit is called but growing up in Benin it was always called this. They are little black velvet covered pods which grow in bunches and when you crack a pod open, it contains a little orange fruit which you suck on and there’s a tiny seed inside which you spit out, obviously. Anybody know what else this fruit is called or even know what in the world I’m going on about?

2. Otien (you’ve got to forgive my spellings here, I’m crap at native words) aka Cherry – I’m sure you guys all know this one. An orange coloured fruit with a brown plug like contraption on the top which you pull out with your teeth and then you suck on the fruit pulling out the soft sweet sour pulp into your mouth. It contains hard brown half moon shaped seeds. Sometimes, there is a bit of it which you can turn into chewing gum. Ring any bells at all?

3. Ube aka Black Pear – Ahh, you all know this one well! It’s popular during corn season. You either roast it or pop it into boiling water until soft. It’s greeny soft flesh is delicious on it’s own or sprinkled with a bit of salt. It’s usually eaten with boiled or roasted corn. And speaking of corn, can anyone tell me where I can get some REAL corn from? Not this sweetcorn crap that’s sold here.

Ah, I’d better stop now before I start to dribble down my chin.

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol @ dreaming about posting abusive comments on blogs.

hope the dreams subside though... esp ones involving crashes..

7:18 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember eating the AMUGE in calabar but we have a native name for it too that I cant remember and no, I dont know the english name. Me and my sisters used to invent names and perform christening ceremonies for anything we didnt know their real names.
Is OTIEN - Abgalumo? We call it Udara in Calabar. We used to compete who would pull the largest number of seeds from each fruit. never more than 4 or 5 in each one.

I'm sure these fruits can be found either in Peckham or Brixton if you look carefully. Disadvantage of living up North eh?

I'd say go for the crop if it makes you more comfortable. I just croped mine though hubby is finding getting used to the low crop a little bit hard.

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number 2 is also called agbalumo!!!! Hmm now I want to eat agbalumo, its been ages!

10:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't splurge on the maternity wear. get sth basic and wear it all the time till you are sick of every item. it's just 9 mths after all.

i love reading your blogs about your pregancy

10:51 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Yes, i also remembered that Otien is also called Agbalumo in the middle of the night. Can you believe what I am thinking of instead of getting some much needed sleep?

@d: Great advice. I think a pair of jeans, a pair of black trousers, a 3/4 lenght skirt and I'll be good to go!! Thanks.

9:14 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@ d again: I just read the comment you left on my Junk Food post and you'll never guess what! A friend of mine recommended that very website to me just yesterday!! How weird. I've checked it out and I love the products especially the soaps because they are very au naturel! Well done to your friend

9:23 am  
Blogger Uzo said...

Ube reminds me of avocados.....Am i the only one?

11:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, my former "Bendel" sista, an ITK "oyibo type" teacher in high school called otien "velvet tamarind". I did my research, she was right, but boy did we have a laugh on her for weeks in class.

How do I remember and know? I am a bit of an ITK too. :)

Reader from Toronto.

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I meant Amuge.

Reader fom Toronto. (sheepish grin).

9:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amuge is known as anwi in Lagos. Great blog, do drop by and read mine sometime.....

9:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol@ amuge, agbalumo and otien(i can't believe u remembered that name!!). hmmm those days as kids we could do some razz things. i don't think the kids of these generation know wat that is.

10:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know amuge as icheku,agbalumo as udara.iwant them now

10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home