Monday, October 23, 2006

The Joys of Morning Sickness


Awwwwwwwwww. Thank you so much everyone who left a comment. I have really been touched by your warmness and concern and interest – and to imagine that we don’t even know each other. The joys of blog land!

Oh, I must warn you that my blog may turn into a bit of a pregnancy diary over the next nine months, so please bear with me. I just hope I don’t bore you too much.

Warning! Do not read this post if you are about to have your lunch!


Just as I was beginning to think that I would escape the dreaded morning sickness it has stuck with a vengeance and I feel so pooped at the moment.

Now morning sickness is not really what you think it is – you don’t wake up in the morning, puke and that’s it for the day. No, morning sickness should actually be renamed Morning, Noon and Night sickness. It is a constant feeling of nausea which plagues you throughout the day (and night). When you eat, the food just sits there between your belly button and the bottom of your rib cage and it just doesn’t budge. Your stomach just churns constantly and it feels a bit like you’re carrying a piece of lead around with you. And the worst thing is that you want to puke but most of the time you can’t. Awful.

I didn’t get much sleep last night as I spent half of it with my head down the toilet bowl and because I had had a really spicy meal in the evening, my throat was pretty raw by the time I had emptied myself out. Oops, sorry if I’m being a bit graphic.

So I am avoiding spicy, greasy and fried foods. Today I am surviving on dry crackers, Heinz tinned soups and water with a bit of lemon squeezed into it. Not exactly a riveting menu. I also have a tin of mints by my bed.

I went to Boots and got myself a pair of motion sickness bands. These are knitted elasticated wrist bands, which claim to eliminate morning sickness by applying pressure on the acupressure points on your wrists by means of a plastic stud. If you are pregnant and you’re reading this, I have two words for you – DON’T BOTHER! What a rip off! I feel like going back to boots and demanding a refund and they’re pretty pricy at £8 a pop!! I guess they reckon that women get so desperate to get rid of their morning sickness that they would do or buy any thing. And they’re right – I’m living proof.

But apart from this and feeling constantly tired I guess I am doing pretty well.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm actually looking forward to your posts on your pregnancy... i think its exciting!

Glad you're feeling better...

7:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

many of my friends r pregnant now and they r all having it rough with nausea.im really not looking forward to my turn but i have to.

8:19 pm  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

I like the way you titled it the "Joys" of Morning Sickness.

I can always use some baby talk, so you'll have a very very ardent reader these next months.

Chronicles of the little one! (o.k, that wasn't catchy enough, but I think it would be a good idea to call it something) and show it to her/him sometime in future.

11:49 pm  
Blogger adefunke said...

Isn't it interesting that up till the moment before you learned u were pregnant u were fine, and the minute after you are plagued by all the morning sickness wahala?

7:50 pm  
Blogger Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

The bands actually worked for me. Bad morning sickness untill about week 11 and then things got much better. I'm just about 20 weeks now and have been feeling great for quite some time. Hang in there & congratulations!

9:14 pm  
Anonymous cure to morning sickness said...

I like your title and I agree on what the other commenter said. This nausea thing and other unexplained feeling was really part of our pregnancy journey but for me, the day i saw my baby, all those hardship I experience was disappear and and the feeling of having your baby was really a hard won victory as a woman.

2:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home