Thursday, November 02, 2006

London and Ante Natal Care

I was away in London for the weekend visiting friends and it made a nice change from the same-same routine of home – I was able to put my feet up a bit and relax. But I must say, I am glad I don’t live in London.

I was intending to visit a few of my fiends who live in London and whom I haven’t seen in a long while but I ended up only able to visit one of them. Why? Because getting from one point of London to another is a major journey. Not wanting to use the tube as I had my daughter with me, we decided to drive instead – never again! The friends we stayed with live in Essex so getting to say Finchley or Isleworth is like travelling from Benin to Lagos. 1 hour later, and you’re still no closer to your destination. Utter madness. The only thing going for London, in my opinion, is the weather – which was beautifully mild and sunny compared with Birmingham which is about 0 – 2 degrees centigrade at the moment. But I guess the appeal of London is a bit like the appeal of Lagos – once you live there for a while you find it hard to live anywhere else.

Had my first ante-natal check up yesterday and I am officially 8 weeks pregnant (another 32 weeks to go, yippee) and my EDD (expected due date) is the 12th of June (isn’t that a significant date in Nigeria? Something to do with elections? My memory is a bit fuzzy). Anyway, I had a good moan to the midwife about my nausea (yes, I am still plagued by it) and she suggested that I eat a small meal every 2 hours to give my stomach juices something to work on constantly. Good idea, but can you imagine how much weight I would have put on by the time I come to the end of my first trimester? But, I guess now is not exactly the time to be worrying about weight, huh?

I had forgotten just how good the care is here for pregnant women (I don’t care what people have to say about the NHS. After you have experienced the (non existent) healthcare system in Naija, you’ll never complain about anything again). As a pregnant woman here, you are bombarded with all sorts of resources (for free), you are talked through each stage of your pregnancy, there are aqua natal classes available and if you happen to work on the days these classes hold then your midwife will write a letter to your employer asking for you to be let off work for the required amount of time (they are legally bound to do so). You are also given a special telephone number to call in case of emergencies.

Très bon!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger internationalhome said...

My sister, I'm glad you're pregnant joo. If not for the joys of a new member of your family and the world, those precious hours out of the work house!!! :-)

10:44 am  
Blogger Uzo said...

I am glad your pregnancy is going well. I am looking forward to all the updates....

11:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shall be safe in delivery.

this comment is for the tote bags.

Nice collection. I featured your bags under the Made by Nigerians category on my blog. Some of my friends (in London and Nigeria) will like some more info on where and how to get these bags. Great work. Proud of you. ple drop me a mail on gbeborun@ gbeborunoflagos.com will also love to include you on something myself and a group of pple are putting together about young nigerians keeping it real! Expect yopur response.

Cheers - Babs

3:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right...about the healthcare, I mean. Even here in the States, when you have to pay out of the nose for healthcare even WITH insurance, the NHS doesn't seem bad at all.

9:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter what people,the nhs has tried jo

10:13 pm  
Blogger adefunke said...

Yeah June 12 1993 is a very significant date for Nigerians. Putting aside religious and ethnic differences, we voted. Till this day we are still waiting on the results of that election. Keep your chin up.

6:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...i know what you mean about the complaining...i listen to them, and think, 'gosh, 'y'all need to stop whining. you have no idea, do you?'

8:57 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank God for ever present health care in UK. It just makes healthcare in Naija pale in comparism.

5:17 pm  
Blogger Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! I sure have missed a lot being absent from blogger...cant wait to hear more about your bundle of joy!!

1:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog it made me laugh out loud whilst on my laptop in the living room narrowly missed spilling hot chocolate all over the key board as a result!

Many parallels with regards to experience from Naija through to the UK, a smidgen of lack of understanding as its all biased for the female reader (no qualms lol)> Spare a thought for the mixed naija man that does not find beer swilling no family value having English women attractive nor the alternatives (ruling class naija girls spoilt brats looking for a blood line lightening candidate) and the other group none ambition having afro caribs who think men are just sperm donors no more!! Oh yes all the decent ones are usually always taken or scarred from their last (bad boy) boyfriend.............apparently they're more fun till they get them pregnant and run off lol!!

So as a mature mixed naija woman............where do i find a younger single version of thee i am looking for a soul mate in every sense of the word!!!

Lovely blog i will surely be coming back!

12:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home