Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Da Vinci Code

After one year of hearing all the hoopla about it and being bombarded with countless spin off documentaries on The History and Discovery channels, I finally decided to read Dan Browns The Da Vinci Code.

I found it to be a very mediocre book. It started off alright but lost me in the middle. The book sometimes read like a history book and I was left feeling overloaded with information. Mr. Brown was also a bit too eager to get the story out and so left nothing to the readers’ imagination. Bits where I felt he would have done well to leave the reader in a little bit of suspense, he just blurted out. For instance, already mentioning about three or four chapters before the event happens that the bad guy will escape. This really annoyed me – the fact that he left me nothing to look forward too.

I also found bits of the book a bit stretched in terms of believability. Like having the story of the ‘Holy Grail’ being embedded in Disney cartoons and almost everyone save the hero, being a baddie. It’s one of those books which leave you (me at least) wondering what the fuss was about. The end was an anti-climax as well.

Overall, a generally good story but I found Mr. Brown’s writing clumsy and too long winded. I am not surprised that the movie was panned.

Conclusion: Read it if you must, but borrow it rather than buy it.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i did read the book, and loved it, but couldn't bring myself to see the movie. i had heard a lot of bad reviews and well ... would rather rent it via netflix (it'll be out by christmas) than pay $8 plus parking plus snacks to see it on the big screen.

but i'm like that with most movies these days.

11:26 am  
Blogger TMinx said...

Angels and Demons is 100% better than the da vinci code. Don't know what all the hoo haa was about.

3:16 pm  
Blogger uknaija said...

Have tried over fifteen times (no kidding) to read the book...no way. Started the film on a flight and promptly fell asleep. I guess the world is divided into the Brownites and non-Brownites. I know which I am

4:51 pm  
Blogger CD said...

I got the book off the internet (sometime last year) and read it in one evening. Couldn't really see what all the fuss was about. It read like a badly written airport thriller with paper thin characters and a ridiculous plot. And, worse still, for a book that was purportedly written after loads of painstaking research, it was full of wildly inaccurate statements that even I could pick out - the sort of errors that a first year student of biblical history would be flogged for making.

But it did make Dan Brown a ton of money. Guess a little controversy can go a really long way.

10:32 am  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

Thanks for the review. One more reason not to bother with all the bruhaha.

11:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home