Friday, September 01, 2006

Scrumptious September

At last September is here and I cannot tell a lie, I am so glad that August is over. It was the longest, weirdest and most surreal month I have had in a long time – it just seemed to be one pothole after another.

September promises a lot of things – for a start summer seems to be officially over, leaving as suddenly and as unceremoniously as it came, so I guess it’s time to start trawling the shops for winter stuff again. *sigh*

A friend of mine just returned from a two week break (does one really go to Naija for a break?) and I asked her to bring me back the usual supplies of crayfish and Ogbono and boy, did she bring back some. I won’t be lacking in these two items for the next five years!! A bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean. ‘Didn’t you have any trouble at the Airport with all this stuff?’ I asked. She assured me that she hadn’t. Apparently she had called the airline (KLM) beforehand to let them know she would be travelling with some Naija food items and they said it was fine because every (Naija) passenger is entitled to take out a certain amount of food stuff with them. Hmmm, this was news to me. So I’m just passing it on to you all out there planning to make any trips soon. (Disclaimer: if you are caught don’t say you heard it from me!)

She also brought along two issues of The Guardian on Sunday for my reading pleasure. But I must admit that I was very surprised at –


  1. The quality of the newsprint which is terrible! The pictures are all runny and unfocused and it they didn’t carry captions underneath telling you who the people in the pictures are, you’ll have a hard time trying to decipher it for yourself. Gosh, I remember when the Guardian first started (now my age comes through) it was considered the best quality paper in the Country and I especially loved the Sunday edition which always carried pictures by Summi Smart-Cole (whatever happened to him?)
  2. The quality of English. The grammar is so bad!! Do the editors really sit down and edit this stuff? Expressions are wrongly used, words are misspelt and there is just a general lack of attention to the appropriate use of the English language that runs throughout the paper. One used to be able to read a newspaper and walk away haven learnt a new word or two but sadly that’s obviously not so anymore and
  3. 95% of the paper is just about politics, politics and more politics.

One article did catch my eye though – it was a review of the book 26a by Diana Evans. My oh my, the reviewer sure held nothing back – talk about letting it rip!! If I was Diana reading that article, I would never write another book, ever. Ouch! The reviewer was incredibly harsh. I think too harsh. S/he absolutely tore it to shreds. I agree that the book is not to everyone’s liking and we all (mostly) agree that the section where the family moves back to Nigeria wasn’t very well presented and could well have been left out all together, but overall it wasn’t that bad. I felt sorry when I’d finished reading that piece. But moving swiftly on…

I have got a few things I am looking forward to this month. A few of days ago I ordered a couple of my favourite things here and here. So that’s something for me to look forward to getting in the post soon.

But best of all, we are off to Paris for two weeks second week of September!!! Yay!! I am way excited. Really looking forward to it and this time I am going to do more than just take a picture in front of the HUGE model Louis Vuitton suitcases in the front of their store on the Champs-Elysées, I am actually going to go in! Aren’t I brave?! *laugh* I shall also venture up the Eiffel tower and not just loiter around the bottom of it craning my neck trying to get a good view of the top of it.

I plan to have me a Scrumptious September.

12 Comments:

Blogger LondonBuki said...

Wow... September looks like it's gonna be good for you :-)

I am sure you will enjoy your time in Paris!

I read a Nigerian Mag recently and I had exactly the same problems!

Here's to a Scrumptious September :-)

11:29 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

yay!

11:58 am  
Blogger low said...

Have a great time in France!!!

6:12 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Thanks low! I certainly will.

7:29 pm  
Blogger TEMITAYO OMOLOLA said...

PTS im green have a swell time in paris ok!!!!!!!.
About the newpaper, i was beginning to think that i was doing over sabi 'cos everytime i read the paper i go does anyone ever proof read this stuff?!!!!!!!!!!. If you think the guardian is bad try the punch especially on weekends and don't forget to read the lifestyle, fashion and what not columns and also the true life stories. Makes me wonder what kind of morons they have working in the paper. Its not typo, it's the way the sentences are constructed makes me wish i could slap the columnists. I wonder if Nigerian newsp[apers employ profreaders cos it sure looks like they don't . Its a sad story really.
Any way enjoy your holiday and the rest of september. I have a funny feeling this month is gonna be full of suprises (good ones).

8:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.. this should make up for the crappy August eh?
Paris..lucky lucky...! Please don't forget to bring back pics...

9:27 pm  
Blogger Quest said...

found the review you mentioned: it is very straightforward and a bit harsh, but i don't consider it vindictive in the sense that his opinions are justified. It's hard to take criticism, but Diana should not stop writing just because her first book doesn't work for some ppl.

1:16 pm  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

You deserve this after your Antagonising August. Having said that, I had a pretty Awful August myself...anybody willing to take me to Paris? o.k, alright, Cotonou? Anyone? Just kidding!!

PTS, have a good one!!

8:46 am  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

Paris? That's lovely! Have a great time! Here's wishing you a Scrumptious September.

3:51 am  
Blogger Ore said...

I'm so jealous. Have fun in Paris!

I know what you mean about the papers being mostly about politics. I think the Guardian is one of the more balanced papers in terms of content. This Day is virtually all politics.

And yes, the writing is pretty bad.

12:22 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

'This Day' on Sunday isnt that bad. I love their 'STYLE' magazine on Sundays. Its eyecatching.
Ogbono & Crayfish isnt bad stuff. Its the dry fish they try to prohibit and my cousin brought some last November when she came visiting. She even went to the customs lady to 'report herself' that she had some of the stuff but the lady waved her through that it was ok. So sometimes, I guess it depends on the quantity you bring in.

Seems I'm the only one left who hasnt read Purple Hibiscus. Ordering my copy fast!!

Have fun and take loads of pictures during ur holiday!!

7:33 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@bent out of shape: LOL- never been told that before. And no I don't take offense. yes, I am Nigerian - at least half of me is. My mum is German. And now I live in England and that's about as British as I get.

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home