Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Counting the Pennies

As August rolls in with blustery winds, sudden downpours and grey skies, I have decided to make the month in which I cutback, downsize and streamline my spending habits. Yes folks, this month I’ll be counting the pennies.

The first thing to go will be my spending on non-essential items – Ooh, that journal looks pretty I just have to have it! – and staying will be a regular amount being put into my savings account every month – Ooh, look at my bank balance grow! I am proud to say, I have set up a standing order which will sort this out for me on the first of every month but most ingeniously, I am having the money transferred into a new account to which I don’t have easy access. I have also downloaded a budget sheet which I intend to complete and put up on my fridge to remind me every day of my (self imposed) financial restraints for the month. *sigh*

Saying that however, I walked into Jones Bootmaker yesterday (nothing like a huge FOR SALE sign to drag you into a shop) and instantly fell in love with two gorgeous pairs of shoes. Being the shoe addict that I am, I just had to – of course, darling – try them on. Ooh, it was like surrounding my feet in butter. I had to use a chisel to pry them off and put them back on the display rack. I did walk away from the shop sans the shoes but I’m still dreaming of them though.

All in all, I am determined to follow through as I want to treat myself to a state of the art PC which comes with all the bells and whistles. My current PC is so old and grumpy; it’s time to get rid of it. I also want to go to Ghana (with a stop in Nigeria) for Christmas and that requires some serious cash.

Oh, if you are reading this and know of any good financial blogs, sites or other info to do with finance, budgeting, money saving tips etc, etc please let me know. Thanks!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger LondonBuki said...

I have a blog about how I am trying to get my finances into shape and these are some sites I've found helpful:

http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com//default.asp

http://budgetingbabe.blogspot.com/

http://allthingsfinancialblog.com/

I hope you find one or more of these useful. Good Luck and Well Done so far :-)

9:28 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Thanks for the links

10:06 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@nkweto: thanks for the link. I've just visited it and found it very useful. I especially like the fact that its geared towards the UK market and not the US market as many of the money sites tend to be.

3:07 pm  
Blogger kmtaylor said...

*sigh* I love a good pair of boots, so I understand!

Your idea of downloading a b=udget sheet and placing it on the fridge is sooo good. I must try it.

And thanks for the other links, nkweto and londonbuki.

3:23 pm  
Blogger LondonBuki said...

I'm gonna check out www.fool.co.uk cos financial sites ARE normally based on the US market.

No problem PTS and karrie... I too am working on my finances and I am really budgeting and hoping to be out of any form of debt in a year.

3:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home