Saturday, April 15, 2006

A Simple Day

hat a wonderful day I had yesterday. The whole day seemed to have a flow about it. Like pieces of a jigsaw slotting neatly together.

I woke up to glorious sunshine streaming through our bedroom window and that straight away set my mood for the rest of the day – happy. It made such a change after endless months of waking up to grey skies, bleak weather and ever dipping temperatures. Now it seems summer is winning its battle and is making a grand entrance at last.

The first half of the day saw us in the city trawling the shops for last minute gifts for my husband to take along for family and friends when he makes a ten day trip back home next week. It’s something I don’t normally look forward to as shopping has lost a bit of it’s fascination for me (everything in the shops these days seems to look the same- skinny jeans, cropped tops and cheap looking accessories) plus the family seems to be ever increasing so buying even one present per person only ends up costing a small fortune. But this time it wasn’t too bad as we were armed with a list which speeded things along greatly.

This done, I walked into Gap (one of my favorite places to shop) and low and behold they were having a sale!! What joy! I whipped out the gift voucher I got for my birthday four months ago and prepared myself for a bit of retail therapy. With hubby and daughter busying themselves elsewhere I set to work and was duly rewarded with a lovely denim distressed look ankle length skirt and a pair of bright pink and red boat shoes ( a purchase my hubby didn’t quite get, but I love them!! ). I walked out of the shop looking like a cat that had got the cream.

Then we came home, had lunch lazed about for a bit and then at six O’clock it was off to the park. It was just so lovely walking on the grass, playing catch with my daughter, watching her on the swings and riding her bike with her daddy filming it all to show to everyone back home. It was the best feeling in the world knowing that I was a part of this special unit. At about 7:30 pm (and yes the sun was still out in full force) we started making tracks back home.

As we didn’t have any milk at home we decided to make a quick stop at the BP station Somerfield express shop to pick some up. I dashed in picked up a bottle of milk and it was out to the car again. But …. It wouldn’t start!!!! After about 5 minutes of poking about underneath the bonnet, hubby called up AA who promised to be with us within the hour. One hour, sitting in a car waiting??? But you know what? It turned out to be lovely as we made a mini picnic of it – yes, in the car!! It’s amazing what some bananas, a box of ice cream and some juice can do. And my daughter just loved it. And so did I. We eventually got rescued, car was fixed in 20 minutes (the earth cable was loose) and we made our way back home. It was 9:00 pm. Way past my daughters’ bedtime. Needless to say, she was more than happy to jump into the bath, then her pajamas and into bed.

Simple pleasures can bring such joy.


Blogger Naijadude said...

Awww...although it might not be as good but the narration is just as awesome as it can be. I am just trying to imagine that...hmm sweet day it was indeed!

1:15 am  
Blogger Onada said...

Hmmm girl. i'm beginning to envy you, but i'm glad to know you had a great weekend. Hopefully you are out of "the state of graze". You've inspired me to do some retail therapy this i'll be hitting the mall :)

8:41 pm  
Blogger Onada said...

Here's the link to my letter to my younger self!

1:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home