Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Pleasure of My Company

There is nothing that gives me more pleasure than being on my own. I thoroughly enjoy my own company. I find it difficult to understand when someone tells me that they are bored, have nothing to do or don’t like to be at home on their own. I, on the other hand, am the exact opposite. Being on my own? I LOVE IT!

I can potter around totally content  with my own company. I read, garden, browse, blog, daydream, write in my journal and get those little odd jobs done. In peace. I don’t have a mad urge to go out and spend every minute surrounded by people or in the company of a friend; I have never been much of a social creature. Which is why I get a trifle irritated when the door bell rings unexpectedly and it’s someone ‘just dropping in’ for a visit.

Living here, as a mum without help, each day is planned with military precision. It’s the only way to cope – bedtimes and naptimes are set, meal times are set, playtimes are set, TV time is set and on and on. You can almost set your watch to it. And of course you are seldom alone. You are always in the company of your child and/or husband. And when your child does go off to nursery, you are probably at work. So as you can imagine, time alone is such a precious commodity,

Which is why when I do get some down time (normally by taking a day or two of my annual leave), to have someone just drop in to kill a few hours because they are bored, or don’t want to be home alone, is frankly, annoying. These are hours, I sit there thinking, I have planned for - being more productive or indulging myself in some other interesting past time. And because I am not crazy about having people call round unexpectedly, I am completely in support of the habit of ringing up first before dropping in for a visit. In that way, I can plan my day around the fact that I’ll be having someone round later on. I get the stuff I need to do out of the way; I can prioritise my to-do list and I am also a much better hostess when I am pre-warned. I can tune my mind into your visit, and I can sit down without guilt for a few hours with my feet up making idle chit chat. But, most importantly, I can give you quality time.

5 Comments:

Blogger adefunke said...

You have just described me! I am glad I have company

1:53 pm  
Blogger Mrs A. said...

solitude is my PEACE OF MIND!!!!

4:35 pm  
Blogger Biodun said...

Same here...I love spending alone time...n I cant stand it if I go awhile without "me time"
I enjoy going to the movies alone especially...no one 2 interrupt me n yeah I can curl up n enjoy my popcorn n drink!

9:29 pm  
Blogger Ann! said...

"Living here, as a mum without help, each day is planned with military precision. It’s the only way to cope" not only as a mother, but as a university student, too!

I know what you mean! Living with my friends always brings up this problem as some of the don't understand the concept of a closed door: as in please knock before you enter and if I don't respond, I probably don't want to hang out with you!

12:08 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

The question now is: How come we are not brave enough to say to our unexpected guests 'Do you mind coming back some other time, I'm busy'. Are we too polite or embarassed to do so, or fear our being honest will destroy the relationship with our friend? Or is it only 70 year old grannies that can get away with this? ( I have an aunt in her 80's who doesn't hesitate to tell you to p*** off, if you turn up unexpectedly!)

12:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home