Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Books

I am in the process of reading Chimamanda Adichie’s new book called The Thing Around Your Neck which is a collection of twelve short stories.

Chimamanda is my all time favourite Nigerian author and I am a huge fan but I am coming away from each story with a faint feeling of ….annoyance. I hate loose ends – in they way I live my life and the way I do my things. I like things nicely finished and spelt out – I’m simple like that. But the first four stories of this book have an unfinished quality to them. I finished reading each one of them still thinking ‘Eh-eh and then what happened?’ I wanted more and that leaves me feeling a little annoyed… I am sure there is something I should be getting here – that style of story telling: leave your readers wanting more - but I’m afraid it’s flying straight over my head. For the first time ever, I am not rushing through this book with excitement like I did with her first two and that surprises me. All that said and done, they are still very good stories though.

On the other hand though I recently finished reading the fantastically funny and oh so enlightening book about 419ers titled I do not come to you by chance by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani. What a great book and I finished it in two days flat ... a feat for me considering. If you haven’t read this book I urge you to do so.

Any other new and interesting books by Nigerian authors out there?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Ibou said...

I love reading so I will look for that book.

2:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home