Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A Word on Christmas Presents

Words actually.

I got some really crap presents for Christmas this year. And surprisingly, the really crap presents came from people who have known me for years and so should have known better.

I know it’s said that it’s the thought that counts but c’mon guys, if you’re going to buy me a present at least make sure it’s useful and more importantly tailored to my taste.

My rule of thumb for buying Christmas presents – or any presents for that matter – is to ask myself this question: ‘Is this something I would like to receive myself?’ If the answer is No then I pass on it.

I am not into the cost of a present but I am very into the thought that goes into the purchasing of it and there are just some presents that you know absolutely no thought went into. And that happens mostly when:

The buying of the present was left to the last minute
They bought the cheapest item going
They just couldn’t be bothered
Or maybe they're palming off their unwanted presents on to you. Now there's a thought...

For friends (and sometimes erm, family) who buy you crap, you realise that after all the years of friendship they really don’t know you at all. In fact, all these years you’ve spent pouring your heart out to them, they haven’t even been listening!!!

And then to make things worse they put you on the spot by watching your reaction as you rip open the wrapping paper in anticipation. And when you discover the miserable contents of the parcel you have to feign excitement and pretend like it’s the best gift in the world and all the while inside you’re asking yourself ‘What the HELL IN THE WORLD IS THIS??????????????’

Oh and just one more thing, don’t use the ‘I’ll buy gifts for the kids and that should cover it’ cop out.

Noooooooooooooo. Noooooooooooooooo. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!



DO NOT buy presents for my kids and think that we, the parents, have been taken care of by default. I HATE that. What am I going to do with a Barbie doll? Or a Jigsaw puzzle? Or a Disney DVD? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I am not my kids and my kids are not me. Got that??

All I can say is: Giveaway Christmas presents coming to a charity shop near you.

Okay now that I have got that off my chest (and sounding like a total winge – sorry people but it really pissed me off) I got an absolutely FANTASTIC present from hubby.





In case you’re wondering what the picture is – it’s the key to my new car!! Yep, a first for me (getting a car as a gift) and it bowled me over.

And that more than made up for the crap presents I got.

There is justice in the world!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

PTS. Welcome back. Having got useless presents in the past and had to appear pleased, I know how you fee. So when are you driving down to see us?

10:17 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

All I need is your postcode and I'll be sat-naving it right there :)

How is the new year treating you?

10:41 pm  
Blogger Uzo said...

Lovely present grom the hubby..now that's a thoughtful gift....

Happy New Year

3:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you too.

A Car!! When do we get to see a picture? LOL!!

10:57 pm  
Blogger Jennifer A. said...

Lol!

5:54 am  
Blogger uknaija said...

Happy New Year!

4:46 pm  
Blogger Daddy's Girl said...

Aww.. congrats on the car, that's lovely. I don't give or receive Christmas presents but it's always nice to see people get lovely ones... do stop by and check out the Odes Carnival on my blog for some amazing writing...

5:52 pm  
Blogger Gbemi's Piece said...

How sweet of your hubby!!! Now that's what I call gift giving.

8:31 pm  
Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

New year's been good. Stop zooming around and update. Love to the girls.

8:45 pm  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

How have you been?

8:57 am  
Anonymous Peter said...

Appreciiate you blogging this

2:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home