Monday, October 22, 2007

Getting my Groove Back


The following equation just about sums up what life’s been like for the last five months:

Living in England + two small children + no support (i.e. nanny, house help, au pair, relative) + being a wife and mummy = no time left over for self

In a nutshell that’s life as it is for me at the moment and the reason I haven’t blogged in such a long time.

But never one to remain in a downward spiral for long, I have set about improving my lot.

So after almost five months of slobbing about I am finally coming round to the realization that my excuse of ‘ but I just had a baby’ isn’t going to hold water for much longer and have embarked on a programme of turning PTS from a Slummy Mummy to a Yummy Mummy.

My first stop was to get me back in shape so I signed up for not one but two! , exercise classes. On a Monday I go for Pilates and on a Wednesday I go for Yoga. Best decision I ever made. Not only does it give me three hours clear a week to myself, I feel so much better. I LOVE yoga. I could kick myself for not doing it years earlier. To be honest, I had the ignorant misguided idea in my head that to do Yoga you had to become a mantra chanting, incense burning, vegetable eating, tree hugging hippie type person. Don’t blame me!! Blame the stereotyping I am bombarded with on TV and in the magazines.

Yoga is relaxing, challenging and it teaches you to really focus and BREATHE. Oh, and being flexible is a plus. After just four weeks ( of both classes) I can feel the benefits already. My body feels much stronger – not in terms of muscle but in terms of strength – I feel toned and strangely enough I feel more confident as well.

Second stop in my Yummy Mummy quest is to tackle my diet. I don’t eat bad, bad but I don’t eat so great either. I love my butter and my fat and my fry, fry, fry. I love bread (brown) and cream and milky drinks. I buy fruit but don’t eat much of what I buy. Thankfully my daughter is a fruit freak so nothing goes to waste. I do like vegetables though but half the time I can’t be arsed to make a bowl of salad. It’s such a chore chopping all those vegetables up I find. And I eat way tooooooooooo much meat (ah, the Naija in me!). Hubby has embarked on an Alkaline Diet (see the PH Miracle for further info) and the weight is absolutely dropping off. It’s a bit too drastic for me (I can’t do without meat for too long) but it works so perhaps I will dip in and out of it and tailor it a bit to suit my lifestyle. I am more inclined towards the French Women Don’t Get Fat type diet so we’ll just have to see. Check in for progress reports…

Third stop is my wardrobe – I mean there must be more to life than denim and Gaps’ Favourite T. But where to start?? In being a mum and wife I seem to have lost my sense of style and adventure when it comes to clothes. I always stick with safe choices – blacks, browns, creams and beige. BORING!! So budding fashionistas, any suggestions? But remember, I am a woman on a budget so forget the Prada’s and Jimmy Choo’s for now.

Finally, there is the more, erm, personal side of my personal improvement plan. Let’s just say that after running after two kids, looking after the home and doing the laundry the whole day your hormones aren’t exactly raring to go come bedtime. But that’s a topic for another day. Ha, ha.

And how have the last five months been for you? Oh, silly me, I have to read your blogs to find out!


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger KemiMamaLopes said...

Welcome back. Good luck on the journey back to yummy mummy. The french women diet is a variation of the low carb, low GI diet and is great. Had a look at the recipes and they definitely tie in. Will be making the flourless chocolate cake :) I am on the diet wagon too and loving exercise thanks to the Nintendo wii. Whoever thought I was a closet boxing champ. On the bedroom front, I hear zinc is good. That and a positive mental attitude that I do not have to be in the mood to try! This was supposed to be a short comment. Missed you and welcome back again.

10:52 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

Hmmm, zinc eh? Okay will give it a try. And I need LOADS of PMA too!!! It's just that after spending the whole day running after the kids, especially now that it's half term, I am just soooo exhusted. Thanks for the tips though :)

9:15 am  
Blogger In my head and around me said...

I missed you. Don't go away again o!

6:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rotflmao very funny post

Im just a mothr of 1 and ive totally lost it all

my looks energy my boobs n all

My skin is d worse 2 show 4 it

I have d mask of pregnancy its been on 4 about 3 yrs does any1 know how 2 get rid of it?

My dress sense 2 is now wacky does it come with the terrain 2

I am a bit hard on myself cz i feel i shldnt be this way at 25 right?

Glad i found ur blog it resonates deep

Im sticking 2 u and get ready 4 all my questions lol

U rock

Yimi

7:19 pm  
Blogger Ore said...

Welcome back! I've missed your blog greatly.

All the best with the healthy living plan. Goodness knows that I need it too.

10:26 pm  
Blogger Nigerian Woman in Norway said...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=490285&in_page_id=1879

do try that link.

love your blog.

7:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home