Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I love you but can't stay faithful

It seems like this months TRUE LOVE West Africa magazine, is turning out not to be too good for my health. It’s certainly succeeded in getting my blood pressure rising.

It always takes me a while to get through any glossy so I didn’t read the ‘Doting Dads’ article until last night. In a nutshell, it was kind of a tribute to dads who are bringing up their kids on their own. Three dads where featured, but the one that left me stunned was Femi Kuti.

All in all it was an okay feature (of him being a single dad) but what beggared belief was a statement he made by way of explaining the break up of his marriage. When asked what happened, he replied, ‘…I’ll just tell you she accused me of adultery. What baffles me is that I always told her I can’t be faithful and she always said it was okay…’

Is this guy for real???? I may be totally wrong, but I find it very hard to believe that a wife will happily say to her husband ‘Oh darling, I am okay with the fact that you’ll be unfaithful to me.’ I don’t know why, but I was so angry when I read that article and my reaction was, and still is who does he think he is? I don’t know what else went on in the marriage, but based on what I have read in this article, I don’t blame his wife for walking out on him. Kudos to her! What a prat. I’ve totally gone off him now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Olawunmi said...

i don't condone what he did, i always believe that a marriage should compell both parties to a binding and equal fidelity. he gets no sympathy from me.

however [this is the trouble-maker in me] don't women say things all the time that they have no real intention to adhere to? like the woman that says she doesn't really want a commitment either, but turns around and says "i want to know that we belong together", or the girl who agrees to the non-exclusive relationship only to scream blue murder when she finds out about his other women.

i am not making excuses, i am just saying o

4:04 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@ Olawunmi; I thought exactly the same thing as well so you're not being a trouble maker. Loads of women say things because they're 'in love' and want to 'catch' their man and then change their minds later on. But you men should know that by now.
;-)

4:53 pm  
Blogger adefunke said...

I feel very sorry for Femi, I think he would have done better not venturing into music at all. Fela's shoes are to big to big to fill, and his shadow to huge to avoid. While Fela was alive, I believed it would be difficult maybe not impossible to establish himself as Femi Anikulapo the Musician as opposed to Femi Anikulapo Fela's son. Since Fela has passed on, it seems Femi has decided to not bother trying to establish himself but to just channel Fela. I watched a documentary about Femi the other day and there he was doing drugs like his dad and all that. I know he is a visible face in the champaign against the spread of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria and I want to believe that he is 'responsible' about his sex life, but then again how is that my business? I believe we have seen the best the Anikulapo-Kuti family will have to offer us on the music scene for the next couple of generations anyhow.

On a realted subject, PTS how do you get your copies of True Love?

8:25 pm  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@ Adefunke: I have to rely on the goodness of friends and family who come over to get me copies of True Love and Genevieve.

@ Nogozi: I always thought Femi was quite 'clean' in terms of his lifestyle i.e no drugs and no women. Guess I was wrong. It kinda makes his being the 'face' behind the eradication of HIV/AIDS a bit of a joke, doesn't it? Like it's said, the fruit never falls far from the tree.

11:33 am  
Blogger Olawunmi said...

@ngozi & self: more and more, with everyday that passes, femi proves that apples don't fall very far from the trees on which they were nurtured. his image used to be clean, and now he's become the mirror image of his dad.

what grieves me though is how he can preach the message of hiv/aids in good conscience while engaging in high-risk behaviour.

10:39 am  
Blogger Pilgrimage to Self said...

@olawunmi: true dat!

6:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home